In this fast moving world that we have all become accustomed to, we often get caught up in our day to day lives, and lose focus on what’s important – You!
Our work, family and friends needs often come before our own leaving us with feelings of exhaustion, sadness and a need to escape.
Recent studies have suggested that women in particular (mothers) get less me time than men. This is possibly due to the different roles they play in the family.
Taking some time out of your day to look after you is the first step in regaining control of your life. Me time helps to establish you as a priority and help us to build strong healthier relationships.
What is me time?
Me time is simply spending time in your day doing the things you enjoy. This is time when you focus on yourself and your own needs & thoughts. No one is telling you what you should or shouldn’t do. This is a time when you connect with your true self and perhaps indulge in those activities that make you feel alive.
It can be different for everybody. Some prefer to spend time on their own, while others enjoy socializing or playing a sport.
When we were younger we tended to get a lot of me time. This was due to the lack of responsibility we often had earlier in our lives.
Me time becomes increasingly difficult as we get older. Raising a family and work, combined consumes a lot of our time. Our children’s needs often get priority over our own. When we do get a moment to ourselves we are often too tired to do anything.
Why is me time important?
Me time is important because it allows us time to connect with ourselves. It allows us to be free and to be our authentic selves.
- It helps us to build strong lasting relationships. When we are happy within ourselves, we are more engaging to those around us.
- It helps us to problem solve. Spending time along to think and ponder without distractions, gives our brain space to think.
- It enables our brain and body to unwind and de-stress.
- It improves your concentration and helps with productivity.
- It helps us in our personal development.
- It helps us to recharge the brain.
- It gives us a purpose and something to look forward to. A break away from our busy lives.
- It makes us happy.
- It helps us to feel young.
How can I fit me time in my life?
I know what you are all saying. How am I going to fit me time into my life, when my life is already so busy?
The answer is surprisingly simple. It is a matter of reorganizing your day and setting new expectations with love ones and colleagues at work.
- Try waking up 1 hour earlier in the morning. It is a quiet and incredibly peaceful time of the day.
- Speak to your partner and express your need for some me time. Come up with a plan together, this way you are more likely to get support. He or she will benefit from a much happier you.
- Turn off your phone for 1 hour a day. So many of us are slaves to our mobile phones. If the call is important, they will leave a message.
- Go for a walk or eat lunch in the park. Get out of the office and spend your lunch break alone or with people that make you happy.
- Close the door or put up a do not disturb sign. This way people know not to disturb you during this time.
- Get yourself into a routine. Set times in your calendar and plan events to help ensure you follow through with them. Book tickets etc. ahead of time locks in the dates.
- Have a bath rather than a shower. Light some candles, turn out the lights and unwind. A bath will force you to slow down and relax.
- Go to bed earlier. Read a book, listen to some calming music or simply meditate to help prepare your body for rest.
Me time ideas
There are no rules when it comes to me time. What works for one person, may not be suitable for another. The key is to find activities that you enjoy and not to be persuaded to do activities that simply do not interest you.
- An activity such as watching TV is considered me time. Sitting down to watch your favorite show, allows both your body and mind to unwind from your busy day.
- Go to a party. Get dressed up and dance the night away.
- Treat yourself to a broadway show or stage performance. You may get inspired to take up music, dance or drama.
- Learn to play a musical instrument. Learning engages the brain and distracts it from whatever else is going on in your life at this time.
- Take up a new hobby. Learn something you have always wanted to do, and discover new talents you never knew you had.
- Reading is a wonderful pastime. Get caught up in the fantasy and lose yourself in a book for a few hours.
- Movies are a fun way to spend a couple of hours. Explore different genres and broaden your experiences.
- Join a gym or exercise group. Get fit with like-minded people. Set goals and strive to achieve them.
- Be daring and try to learn something new each week. Challenge yourself and experience delight in success.
- Cooking and food brings people together. Take a cooking class and experiment with food. Your friends and family will enjoy the fruits of your labor.
When should I start?
The simple answer is right away!
It is not uncommon to feel guilty for taking time out in the day for you. Brush those feelings of guilt to the side and focus on nurturing a healthy you.
Combine me time into your life along with a healthy diet, a good night’s sleep and regular exercise for your overall health benefit and well being.
Don’t miss: Ways to Start Loving Your Body
Like this post? Follow Sugar Candy on Facebook to get the latest updates!